don't click here

Other developer than Sonic Team?

Print

Author Topic: Other developer than Sonic Team?  (Read 8796 times)

Offline P.P.A.

Other developer than Sonic Team?
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:29:07 am »
In my opinion, Sonic Team has failed. Their last games were crap, they keep adding useless stuff to the series and ruin its name. And since my two personal Sonic favorites (CD and R) were not developed by them, I would not miss them.
What do you think about that? And what other development teams could you imagine?
I would like the idea of the team behind Sonic CD being in charge of the games. It would also be interesting to see what Treasure (Ikaruga, Astro Boy Omega Factor, Gunstar...) would do with the franchise.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline eggFL

Re: Other developer than Sonic Team?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:36:51 am »
Game development I'd be certain is nothing like how it was in the days of Sonic CD, so I'm not sure how useful it may be to bring them back to may a new Sonic game.

I love Sonic Team, they are the only ones doing what they are doing, as much as they are screwing up they have no competition. There is only one Sonic.

If Sonic has been such a disaster I would wonder how come no other developer tries to make a Sonic clone? I actually don't know why but I would wonder. But I could say it just furthers my point.

In fact I wish Sonic Team had the rights to other company's franchises, not the opposite. A Sonic Team Megaman or Sonic Team Mario, or Sonic Team Star Fox, are all games I have fantasized about. They would undoubtedly be very interesting games. Megaman would finally have a respectable mainline console game with decent graphics (oh and it'd be "3D" some say this 'peripheral' third dimension just a buzz word but I think it has potential) Mario would return to action instead of puzzles, and Star Fox will finally get another flight shooter and retain the pep of SF64. Really it's hard to say that Star Fox or Megaman are even in good hands to begin with, though I'm certain someone is now going to argue that against me.

Really the thing I generally wish for terms of Sonic development is that they simply do a better job next time.

And I also wish they take care of the stories better. Not saying the stories are bad, they're GOOD on paper. But they need better actors, story needs better flow, they should take a few lessons in more western style and movie style of presentation and structure, I would think. Since the Last Story in Sonic and the last boss itself is lame... I would think that the last boss is rushed but the entire Last Story feels cheap. I just don't think that kind of crap would find its way into a Disney flick. Imagine, they could have made the 10-years-ago scene with Shadow and Silver actually feel emotionally compelling and pivotal.

And to respect the universe more. The town missions have Shadow driving over generic civilian cars as tall as he is with an oversized buggy (with nitros) in a sanctioned race. Come on.

Failing that they should do what I mentioned in the Game Ideas thread and make a storyless game and just stick to the fundamentals of the gameplay, and the franchise appeal which stands with or without a story.

Sonic showed us so much and still has so much potential.. many franchises could have done similar to what Sonic has. Sonic Team is the only developer who went in this direction. They did Radical Train. Nobody has ever done anything like Radical Train. If another developer got it, what would we have? We'd have Ratchet. Or Kameo. That's what I've always said I'm concerned with when discussions like these arise. To conclude my point I could say that Sonic Team has failed, let's say they have, but then there is nothing else like Sonic in a long time.

*scratches back of head* >_>

edit: oh and I forgot to mention, CD and Sonic R? You may kind of be alone on this one. I personally don't think either game is bad of course but actually I went back to play both on Gems to find that neither is as good as I remember it. (especially CD, frustrating time mechanic) Though then again I'm sure anyone else can say Sonic Rush which is also sort of by Dimps and loved by all, though you didn't mention it.

Offline Rolken

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:05:16 am »
Your argument that Sonic Team has a unique creativity that others lack is destroyed by how awesomely unique Sonic and the Secret Rings is (and it's not made by Sonic Team). Stuff like Levitated Ruin, an array of towering prisons on the back of flying manta rays - or Evil Foundry, an ancient castle converted into a smelter - or Skeleton Dome, the approach through an animal graveyard and descent into a royal crypt - or Night Palace, whose awesomeness can't be conveyed in words. And as for this...

If Sonic has been such a disaster I would wonder how come no other developer tries to make a Sonic clone? I actually don't know why but I would wonder. But I could say it just furthers my point.
Developers usually make clones of *good* games, not disasters.

edit: also this can be the "lol sonic team sucks these days" topic, and all similar business can stay out of other topics.
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline JBertolli

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:37:21 pm »
I think Sonic games should be planned out longer. I mean, how many Sonics have come out in the past 6 months. And, look what they have done to poor Shadow after Sonic Heroes! I can't say much though, because I only rate games on gameplay. Not by story, graphics (unless they really suck >_>), or sound, or any of that. If it is fun to play, then I'm happy with the game. Sonic games are fun despite the story :P

Offline eggFL

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 12:08:12 pm »
Well Rolk as close as Secret Rings creators are to Sonic Team maybe it's no surprise. At least as being two different parts of the same company: Sega. But what if the developer of the next Sonic was much further away? Had no roots or relations to Sega. What would Sonic be like then? Although I guess I wouldn't know, I'm just speculating.

It might depend on how much the new owner would actually want to stick to the style Sonic has been on up until then. That may affect the result.

And also I haven't played Secret Rings so I can't judge the difference yet. But as a side release it's also hard to gauge. A lot of aspects seem like Sonic Team anyway (mostly negative ones). The biggest differences are the unsatisfying Arabian Nights theme (side release, what can you say) and new gameplay style. (Wiimote)

Also Night Palace's awesomeness probably can be described into words. I'm not saying it's not awesome. But actually I wonder if it's even that awesome or clever. (If it is what I think it is, I already basically thought of an modern urban Night Palace as a level idea)

And when you speak of flying manta rays carrying towers, it makes me think of swimming turtles carrying platforms like in Sonic Heroes. I guess it just furthers your point if anything though.

Btw I definitely think graphics/sound are a huge part of the game. Maybe not story. And not as a demo of hardware capabilities or sound quality, I mean in terms of creative design and to enhance the game's enjoyment. And if you can create a really great IP then it goes a little beyond 'merely' how good the game itself is and how much it furthers the experience, but you have this entire series that can entertain and gratify gamers beyond just a replaceable number of play hours.

I guess story itself doesn't really matter, but a bad story would probably turn away fans if you had everything else right. It's depressing if you'd be a fan of something if it weren't for the story.

But that's just me! /catch phrase

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 07:25:23 pm »
Your argument that Sonic Team has a unique creativity that others lack is destroyed by how awesomely unique Sonic and the Secret Rings is (and it's not made by Sonic Team). Stuff like Levitated Ruin, an array of towering prisons on the back of flying manta rays - or Evil Foundry, an ancient castle converted into a smelter - or Skeleton Dome, the approach through an animal graveyard and descent into a royal crypt - or Night Palace, whose awesomeness can't be conveyed in words. And as for this...

You tell him, Rolken. :)

The biggest differences are the unsatisfying Arabian Nights theme (side release, what can you say) and new gameplay style. (Wiimote)

Also Night Palace's awesomeness probably can be described into words. I'm not saying it's not awesome. But actually I wonder if it's even that awesome or clever. (If it is what I think it is, I already basically thought of an modern urban Night Palace as a level idea)

I guess story itself doesn't really matter, but a bad story would probably turn away fans if you had everything else right. It's depressing if you'd be a fan of something if it weren't for the story.

Trust me, Night Palace ranks high up there with SEGA Carnival in terms of best levels ever in a Sonic game (IMO).

eggFL, the story turned me off so much, that's the ONLY reason why I'm not buying it.. That says a lot knowing how stoked I was (and still am) for the game... Spending my $ on SSX Blur.

Reviewers are saying there's a LOT of potential for a sequel so I hope that they do continue with it but scrap the whole Arabian Nights idea... Or at least design a whole new game entirely.. .like going back into the Shuffle direction which would wholeheartedly please me to death. :o
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:25:14 am »
Or at least design a whole new game entirely.. .like going back into the Shuffle direction which would wholeheartedly please me to death. :o

This would however not please anyone else. >_>
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline eggFL

Offline Rick_242

• Always getting stuck inside walls.
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 12:53:44 am »
<Sondow> also what
<Sondow> since when was S&K an expansion pack to s3
<Sondow> wiki LIES

Offline Stardust Speedman

• Jorn del Judici
  • TSC: Siavash Tazari
  • win10 chrome
  • That beautiful Lady in my avatar is my wife! Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:20:19 pm »
3D Sonic games are awesome!
There is no sense crying over every mistake! You just keep on trying till you run out of cake!

Print

-- Back to Normal Skin --
Hits: 76 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 5 | Mem Usage: 1.14 MB | Time: 0.07s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.